The MMU was established in 2002 and has been delivering a 5 years, including 1 year seagoing service with a TRB, academic course leading to the award of B Sc. ( (Nautical Studies) / B Sc. (Marine Engineering) degree and a Class III (D) / Class III MOE) CoC on passing DMA (BoE) oral examinations.
MMU has been certified ISO 9001:2008 standards in 2007 by Bureau Veritas.
Course design, review and approval process are all included in the QS. All STCW related courses are based on IMO model courses and duly approved and regularly monitored by DMA.
Facilities for Nautical Studies include:
- Desk top bridge simulators;
- ECDIS simulator;
- Chart Room;
- PC based GMDSS training;
- PC based English learning laboratory;
- A computer laboratory
Facilities for Engineering Studies include:
- Engine-workshop with
– Bench fitting section
– Arc/gas welding section
– Machine shop with lathes, shaping machine, milling machine and vertical drilling machine
– Electrical machine
– Diesel engine used for stripping, assembling and running in practical training
- Engineering / Physics laboratory.
Facilities for Ancillary Training include:
- A steel mock up ship structure provided with;
– Mechanical foam making system
– CABA exercise facilities with smoke generator
– Emergency fire pump
– High expansion foam- making system
– Simulation for all types of marine fire fighting
– Command and control centre
- Pool with full equipment and training facility for Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boat.